Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Red Rock Secale is a lager first for me

We're at the the High West Brewery in Park City, Utah and while the food and whiskey/rye is fantastic, what's grabbing my attention is the beer at the end of the meal.
The whiskey distillers teamed with a local Utah brewer to age their Doppelbock Lager in Rye Whiskey Barrels for 6 months. I've never heard of a lager being aged in liquor barrels because they're usually big ales like a barleywine or imperial stout that can handle the addition of oak. I'm dying to try this.
The unique combination creates a fantastic beer. The Doppelbock is smooth with a strong toffee and a subtle caramel flavor. The whiskey barrel smooths out this brew and adds an extremely subtle oaky flavor. I had my doubts but wow, I've never had a lager with this level of complexity. Color me impressed. THE ROCK rating.

While I can't buy a bottle of the Secale home with me, I 'settle' for an 8 year bourbon. Life is good surrounded by friends like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment