Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Avery The Czar Imperial Russian Stout solves a mystery

It's two days after Christmas and my great aunt has shed mystery within the house. The man trapped within the painting in the living room turns out to be Uncle Jedediah. The parental units hung it up because the person was family, but they couldn't remember who it was. Apparently Aunt Sara told us that he was used when she was growing up up to scare the children into eating their vegetables. To me he looks like a distinguished Russian Tsar.
Avery's Czar is 55 IBU's throws down with 10.57% alcohol. There's a subtle and well balanced coffee and chocolate roastyness in the smell. The mouth is subtle as well, the chocolate and coffee and roast blending together for an up front sweetness and dry finish that results in a balanced complexity.  This isn't kingly, like an AleSmith Speedway Stout, but it still deserves royalty. The Prince? Well as it warms up the alcohol comes through with a sharpness. How about a Duke? Not The Duke, John Wayne, but maybe a Duke of Westchester. Duke of Greeley? This beer has changed slightly, like what I know of Greeley. One of David and I's close friends Dan is from Greeley Colorado, the state where Avery is also based. When I first met Dan he told me there wasn't much to the city, but I found out later from my cousins that Greely is actually known for its enormous amount of shit. It's the fertilazer capital of America. Nonetheless, this beer and my friend Dan, better known as Danimal, is way above that shit. THE ROCK rating.

For dessert, I'm watching a Band of Brothers episode, enjoying some a Christmas gift from my parent's wine tasting friends, from a Chocolate store in Napa. Chocolate and an imperial russian stout pair deliciously together. Chomp, gulp!

No comments:

Post a Comment