Sunday, December 25, 2011

Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Weizenbock is a homebrewer's dream come true

Merry Christmas! I awoke from a Brandy Alexander induced 5 hour post Christmas power nap. Oops. Somebody got a little sauced at Christmas. Happens to the best of us. I even missed the Lakers losing, which makes me sad that I missed that.  But thankfully I have a holdout from the summer to get me back into the Christmas drinking spirit.
This is a holdout from the summer months that I bought and held onto. The Sierra Nevada Beer Camp is a really great idea and epitomizes the spirit of Craft Beer - collaboration, passion for beer and creating unique products. Applicants send in a video on why they should be invited to the Sierra Nevada brewery one weekend in August. The winners are formed into a small team and together they brainstorm a beer recipe and brew it that weekend. It sounds like a wonderful, dream come true experience for any home brewer and if I hadn't been behind on my application for the Miami Ad School, I would have applied. Now you'll know what I'll be doing this June!

The Weizenbock is a surprising 6.8%, a bit high for the style but on par with the Weihenstephaner Vitus.  The aroma is incredibly sweet and quite yeasty. The pour leaves the brew cloudy from the unfiltered wheat flakes. Their are flavors of apple and other citrus. This would've been a deeelightful summer beer on the porch, but it goes just as well with me Ma's roast beast (beef) on Christmas. Happy holidays everyone. TRANSFORMERS rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment