Thursday, February 24, 2011

Brewdog 5AM Saint primes my steakly palate

At The Old Place to celebrate Nick G's 29th berfday with his family. The restaurant is hidden deep in the Santa Monica mountains East of Malibu in the small town where they filmed shows such as M.A.S.H and Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman (David's 2nd favorite rerun show behind The Wonder Years).


The restaurant has been cooking steaks for the last 50 years on the same grill, and their meat has quite the distinctive smokey taste. Also, there is a winery next door which I'd love return during the day and have some wine then follow up with more Noodle & Cheese Bake and Steak - The Old Place menu.

They have a surprisingly pleasant beer list. I dive into one worthy of a steak joint and a Brewdog I haven't seen before.
Um, a little more mood lighting please? I need more darkness

First off, 5am Saint is a great freaking name. Iconoclastic Amber Ale, which is labeled at the bottom, is a bold statement but it's totally backed up. This beer is smooth with a nutty bite and just the right amount of sweetness.  The more I drink the more excellent it becomes. This is the type of Amber Ale I want every other Amber to be. Itg oes well with food too. THE ROCK rating

I finish of this beer before the main course and order an Oaked Arrogant Bastard for the steak, which is a brilliant move on my part. In the future when you grill, find a six pack of the oaked bastardo, it'll do your bbq wonders.


Nick's been my closest friend for 9 years and counting, and like a fine wine or 15 year-old girls, he only gets better with age.

No comments:

Post a Comment