Saturday, February 12, 2011

Frog's Red Ale on a productive Saturday

So I like to construct things, specifically furniture and the occasional golden calf, and I've made a 5 shelf bookcase, DVD rack, and wine cork table for the hammock. My latest project began in December when David and I became tired of the bazillion spices in the kitchen - rows and rows of them. So I imagined a 'floating' or suspended spice rack and drew one up. I built the posts, glued the shelves, and figured out how to best support the top shelf. Easy peasy. Then I let all the elements sit around for two months, which made an even bigger mess than having all the spices laid out. David is patient but not that patient, and there were times I'm certain he wanted to hurl the thing out the window, and I wouldn't blame home. My construction was stymied because I couldn't tie a mountain climbing knot with the fishing line. I still don't know how I made it to be an Eagle Scout. Anywho, finally I said screw it; it's time to use square knots, the short bus of knots.

So I woke up this morning and went to work tying different lengths over and over until each shelf wasn't crooked and wallah, it hasn't fallen over yet. So I cleaned the apartment, grabbed a Mexican feast and went to the beach solo for some rays and napping. Before I return back, I went to the home brew store for ingredients and then back to the apartment to write. Boom shaka laka! Walker wins today. This is how I should always spend a Saturday.


In preparation for the beer I'm brewing tomorrow, I'm drinking a red ale from from Blue Frog Grog & Grill, which is apparently located in Fairfield, California. I chose it specifically because of the style and it's the exact alcohol percent that my beer will be, 6.7%. The flavor profile is much different than I'm aiming for and it's considerably darker with rich caramels and hints of chocolate. This is red ale is Christian Bale's Batman, darker and over the top. Plus Bale has a red ginger beard. ARMAGEDDON rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment