Monday, February 28, 2011

Victory Saison du Buff makes rosemary a rock star

So I went to the doctor this morning. I hadn't been since September, a month after we started drinking a beer every day. Wanna guess who gained 10 lbs? This guy! You can't tell by looking at me, but somewhere, hiding, beneath my epidermis is the effect of 200+ beers. It's not like I'm at the point where I'm calling up Curves, asking what their monthly specials are, but it's time to realize I'm not 23, I work a desk job, and salad's are not the enemy (*note* If you put Raspberries in my salad though, I might turn into the Incredible Hulk's bigger and meaner Brother, Magnus Hulk). I still have 150 beers left and speedo season is just around the corner, as Nick G reminds me every other day, so here's to eating healthy and drinking growlers of beer.

On that note, look at the giant beers I bought at The Bruery Saturday. I've already counted them for the year and will only be drinking for pleasure. Heyyy
Three truly unique and delicious brews
I'm back on track with the collaboration beers after the brewery trip interrupted my planned three consecutive San Diego involved collab beers. This one is from Stone Brewery, Dogfish Head, and Victory out of Pennsylvania and it's an herb centric beer. If Dogfish is involved, you know it's going to be a little wacky.

Clocks in at 6.8% alcohol. The rosemary hits you strong upfront like cheap perfume. It's intense (more on this later).

I had a triple white sage beer from Craftsman at the LA Beerfest and it was amazing. Craftsman also made a lavender beer and it was unappealing. I feel the biggest factor for herb centered beers is the role of the herb. Is it used as a centerpiece and the beer revolves around it? Or does it take a backseat to the body of the beer and play a supporting role, a Robin to the beer's Batman? I believe in the latter and I think that's the more sensible route. It's the same way with cooking - you don't have rosemary for your main meal, it's used as a part of the main meal.

But these guys are professional brewers and they don't-give-a-shit about being sensible, especially Sam Calagione from Dogfish, who is a wild man. This Rosemary centered beer blows my little philosophy out of the water. It's really good, wow. It's definitely something to try, and it has a bright label so you can't miss it at Whole Foods ($3.50). TRANSFORMERS rating



I'm usually very beer-centric on the blog (and like to overuse the word 'centric'), but every so often Jebus presents an opportunity impossible to pass up and not post about. Ladies and Germs, today that opportunity is spelled S-H-E-E-N.

"I'M ON A DRUG. IT'S CALLED CHARLIE SHEEN
http://livethesheendream.com/

Here are several additional gems, but there are so, so many more on the above website:

"SORRY MY LIFE IS MUCH MORE BITCHIN' THAN YOURS. I PLANNED IT THAT WAY."

"I EXPOSED PEOPLE TO MAGIC"

"I AM A WARLOCK"


"CLEARLY I HAVE DEFEATED THIS EARTHWORM WITH MY WORDS"

"I AM AN F-18"

"ROCK BOTTOM? THAT'S A FISHING TERM"

"THE RUN I WAS ON MADE SINATRA, FLYNN, JAGGER AND RICHARDS LOOK LIKE DROOPY-EYED ARMLESS CHILDREN"



If you feel like taking the blue pill and having your reality checked, take this 10 question quiz and choose whether the quotes are  either Charlie Sheen or Muammar Gaddafi (thank you brother Warren) -->
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/quiz/2011/mar/01/muammar-gaddafi-charlie-sheen-quiz

No comments:

Post a Comment