Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Deschutes Black Butte Porter boosts my trivia score

At age 28, I'm finally attending my first Trivia Night at a bar. Weird right? How else could I possibly spend my Wednesday nights? Oh wait, I used to be in a bowling league. Ah, balls get in the way of everything.

Speaking of, Susie and I's team name for trivia at South is "Black Turtleneck HandJobs" in honor of Steve Jobs resigning and becoming 'unemployed.' Hand job is still a job, right? Sadly, the team title was runner up in the best name category for the night, right behind "Michael J Fox says 'What earthquake?'" That's just all sorts of wrong and hilarious.
"Black Turtleneck HandJobs"
South has a decent selection of beers but I've had most of them, except for this dark butted beauty. The Oregon based Deschutes brewery makes one incredible porter, and it goes by the name Black Butte.

There's a wonderful dark roast aroma and the mouth feel is silky smooth. Small amounts of chocolate, biscuit and coffee roll together for a well balanced profile. The roasted malts roll off the tongue and stick to the back of your mouth for just a moment before disappearing, leaving you wanting more. This is a sports bar OR a parlor porter, able to be consumed in large quantities or sipped casually and appreciated. Simply, the Deschutes Black Butte Porter is one of the better porters I've tasted this year. THE ROCK rating.

Trivia wise, with the first round of Paul Rudd/Anchorman trivia and the second round of Saxophone solo's, we did pretty well for two people who were competing against teams of 4 or more, but after the third round asked us to name the top 10 fantasy football picks listed on yahoo, we were goners. I'm coming back with reinforcements -- David and Karl will destroy you. Together they are equal to the IBM machine that beat those dorks in Jeopardy. Your up'ms will come South Trivia Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment