Monday, August 22, 2011

Wild Blue Blueberry Lager turns me into Violet Beauregarde

Three things strike me as unusual here; an 8% lager, a fruit lager (rather than being an ale) and a crown royal pillow case. I'm more surprised that I haven't featured a prized possession in my entire beer blogging year. Shame on you Walker. Shame. I'm also surprised with the choice of lagering a fruit beer and I'm tired of wondering what the result will be...

It's a lager, so I poured this into a pint glass but I can't smell anything. Online the website recommends a tulip glass, which would probably be the first lager poured into a tulip glass. This beer is crazy. The alcohol is surprisingly well masked. The berry flavor is sweet and tasty cold and as it warms, the flavor actually sticks with the body of the beer. In many fruit ales, as the beer warms the fruit flavor noticeably separates from the body of the beer - the result of using fruit syrup rather than real fruit - and it turns a decent beer into something considerably less so. I'm really enjoying this bizarre but tasty blueberry style. I'm a little bummed I chose to savor this tonight rather than on a summer afternoon, but you can't win'm all. Besides;
Despite this being made by Anheuser-Busch, I enjoyed it. Sue me. ARMAGEDDON rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment