Sunday, July 3, 2011

AleSmith Speedway Stout would be at my Last Supper

The Speedway Stout is that lady in the red dress at black tie affair - you might never forget forget her.

We picked up a bottle from the brewery during our San Diego trip in May. It's in the top 20 for it's style and the first time I had it on draft at the daily pint, I saw stars. It's 12% alcohol and pours a deep black color and an inspiring tan colored 2 finger head. High carbonation in high alcohol beers are tough to achieve but not for AleSmith.  It is glorious.

The Speedway Stout has a rich and complex aroma of coffee and chocolate. The malts are terrifically roasted and the taste is so smooth. Nothing overpowers here and the flavors combine superbly. This is full bodied and as with any really dank stout, reminds me of motor oil. Delicious, nurturing motor oil. It may be $12 a bottle, but it is worth every penny. BAD BOYS rating.  

I recently filled out an interview for a blog, which will hopefully appear soon, and they asked me a question and my response was a Speedway Stout :


"You were caught smuggling beer illegally, which has now been made punishable by death. Right before you are sent to the executioner, you are offered one last beer. What beer would you chose and why?"

AleSmith Speedway Stout – it is so rich and complex that I would not only still be savoring it as I was walking up the gallows, but its dankness would still be with me as I greeted sweet, sweet death. Plus it is 12% so maybe I’d go out buzzed; isn’t that how we should all go?



No comments:

Post a Comment