Friday, July 1, 2011

Stone Imperial Russian Stout Belgo Anise licorces me up

This brew is part of Stone's “Odd Beers for Odd Years" program, where during n odd numbered years they release new variations on Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine and Stone Imperial Russian Stout in place of the classic version. The Belgo Old Guardian Barleywine was interesting but very overwhelming.

The regular Russian Imperial Stout is one of my favorite stouts and I'm interested to taste what the anise will do. Anise, which is used in absinthe and black licorice, will probably add a unique fingerprint and make this either an incredible beer or a really bizarre beer. I wonder what it'll be...
We're dog sitting the incredible Kamari, who I had to include in the picture. The best dog ever.
The licorice is there from the start and adds a nice flavor and does make this a unique stout. That being said, as I continue drinking it becomes harder for me to finish the glass. The anise wore on me and overwhelmed my palate and drinking became a chore.

I really enjoy Stone making this series of beers and I love the idea of making proven recipes using odd ingredients. It's bold and creative. However, these Belgo beers are experiments that I won't be drinking again. They created a monster of a beer and it's just too much. ARMAGEDDON rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment