Friday, July 8, 2011

Mikkeller Chinook Single Hop is a tasty education

Thank goodness it's Friday. I can't actually say TGIF because it's not very becoming of a man my age and social stature...Basically it sounds like I'm in a teenage Facebook chatroom. Regardless, I'm excited to be over with this week, which was long and hard. That's what she....

Btw, I discovered today there are more single hop varieties than the Chinook and Simcoe, but those are the only ones available at Beverage Warehouse. FFS.

Jeez. BTDT. Well, I'll have to make do with what I have.  
The Simcoe single hop IPA really surprised me because I thought I knew the character of Simcoe. For the Chinook, I am more prepared for the elementary effect of a single hop IPA. After the first couple of sips, I'm admiring the subtlety of this IPA.

Accordingly to my Designing Great Beers book, if Chinook is employed later in the boil it imparts a herbal, almost smoky aroma. However, Mikkeller clearly used Chinook at the beginning of the boil because it has a rich and pronounced aroma with a citrus component.

For having a very high alpha acid count (one of the strongest hops), the IPA is surprisingly refreshing and citrusy. It's like finding the big silent bully has a heart of gold.

I'm enjoying this much more than the Simcoe, and would love to get my hands on the Amarillo, Centennial, Citra and Cascade single hop IPAs. TRANSFORMERS rating. GLWT Walker.


And finally,

MTFBWY


(May The Force Be With You)

No comments:

Post a Comment